How to approach your cloud-connected integration
There are two ways to integrate a cloud-connected device to SmartThings.
- SmartThings Schema
When you begin integrating a cloud-connected device in Developer Workspace, you must choose one of the above methods. This article outlines the factors you should consider.
Step 1: Know the requirements
SmartThings Schema and SmartApp integrations each have additional requirements and expectations, summarized below.
|SmartThings REST API||Device profiles||OAuth 2 authentication||Cloud Connector must handle|
|SmartThings Schema||Not used for integration||Not required for devices||Required for device cloud||Interaction types|
|SmartApp||Used for integration||Required for all devices||Not required for device cloud||Lifecycles|
Step 2: Check your authentication method
If your device cloud does not support OAuth, and uses a different authentication method, you must use a SmartApp integration.
If the device cloud does support OAuth, you can use a SmartApp or a SmartThings Schema integration.
Step 3: Check the devices you are importing
If you want to import a subset of the devices connected to your cloud, you must use a SmartApp integration, which supports individual device selection.
If you want to import all devices connected to your cloud, you can use a SmartApp or a SmartThings Schema integration.
Step 4: Check for additional requirements
If your IoT solution consists of the following, use SmartThings Schema for your cloud-connected integrations.
- You need to integrate devices with the SmartThings platform.
- Your devices must return their current state.
- Your devices can handle commands from SmartThings.
If your IoT solution also involves any of the following, use a SmartApp for your cloud-connected integrations.
- You need to access and control other SmartThings devices as well as integrating your own.
- You want to build a custom user experience in the SmartThings app.
- You are building mixed-purpose applications that connect devices and perform other functions.
- Your users can trigger Scenes.
- Your users can set a location in SmartThings.