Welcome to the SmartThings ecosystem! The various elements in our ecosystem will enable you to build and integrate your devices, services, and existing solutions into the SmartThings Cloud.
We provide an SDK, a CLI tool, and a web-based Developer Workspace. Use these tools to develop, test, and certify your devices and services with convenience and ease. For example, you can create plugins that allow users to control smart devices using the SmartThings app.
Our ecosystem includes the following components:
The SmartThings App centrally manages an extensive catalog of IoT devices and Automations. Through this app, you can configure Automations with SmartApps, or manually control and get status notifications from IoT devices. To add an IoT device or Automation to the SmartThings platform, use the Developer Workspace.
The SmartThings API enables you to integrate, control and monitor a variety of your IoT devices and services into the SmartThings Cloud. Using the SmartThings API, you can create Automations such as:
- A morning app that turns on lights and starts the coffee machine.
- A romance app that dims the lights and plays soft music.
- A school night app that turns on the parental controls.
- A weather app that alerts you if your windows are open when it is raining.
SmartThings Devices can connect directly to the SmartThings cloud, or indirectly through a third-party cloud with SmartThings Connector. Devices can also connect through either a SmartThings hub or Samsung Connect Home hub.
Automations use a RESTful SmartThings API to automatically control and get status notifications from IoT devices. An Automation can be a WebHook or an AWS Lambda function, developed in the language of your choice and hosted wherever you prefer.
- Create a Samsung Account and register for an account on the Developer Workspace.
- Determine the solution that you want to integrate with the SmartThings Cloud:
- Automations can automatically control and get status notifications from IoT devices.
- Cloud-to-Cloud Devices connect indirectly through a third-party cloud with SmartThings Connector.
- Cloud-connected Devices connect directly to the SmartThings Cloud.
- Hub-connected Devices are Z-Wave or ZigBee devices and they connect through either a SmartThings hub or Samsung Connect Home hub.
- Design and build your solution.
- Refer to the Style Guide when designing the look and feel of your solution.
- Familiarize yourself with the Developer Workspace. Find the tools that you need to start developing your solutions.
- Dive into our Developer Guides and learn more about the features that you could include in your solutions.
- Test your solution with tools as below:
- Request for certification of your works.
- Publish your solutions.
We want to hear from you. Share your ideas, questions, and suggestions.