Welcome to the SmartThings ecosystem! The various elements in our ecosystem will enable you to build and integrate your devices, services, and existing solutions into SmartThings Cloud.
We provide an SDK, a CLI tool, and a web console in SmartThings Developer Workspace. Use these tools to develop, test, and publish your devices and services with convenience and ease. For example, you can create plugins that allow users to control smart devices using the SmartThings app.
Our ecosystem includes the following components:
The SmartThings app centrally manages an extensive catalog of IoT devices and Automations. Through this app, you can configure Automations using SmartApps, or manually control and get status notifications from IoT devices. To add an IoT device or Automation to the SmartThings platform, use Developer Workspace.
SmartThings devices can connect directly to SmartThings Cloud, or indirectly through a third-party cloud with SmartThings Connector. Devices can also connect through either a SmartThings hub or Samsung Connect Home hub.
The SmartApp can either be an AWS Lambda function, or a WebHook with a RESTful API interface. You need to develop a SmartApp either to integrate a device connecting to third-party cloud into SmartThings Cloud, or to create an Automation.
The SmartThings Connector uses a RESTful SmartThings API to integrate cloud-to-cloud devices into SmartThings Cloud. A SmartThings Connector is a type of SmartApp, developed in the language of your choice and hosted wherever you prefer.
The Automation uses a RESTful SmartThings API to automatically control and get status notifications from IoT devices. An Automation is a type of SmartApp as well.
OAuth integrations enable third-party applications to interact directly with SmartThings Cloud. Learn more.
The Developer Workspace is a suite of tools that you can use to add IoT devices and Automations to SmartThings Cloud. We provide easy-to-use graphical web console to get started quickly, and also powerful CLI and local SDK.
The SmartThings API enables you to integrate, control and monitor a variety of your IoT devices and services into SmartThings Cloud. Using the SmartThings API, you can create SmartThings Connectors and Automations such as:
- A morning app that turns on lights and starts the coffee machine.
- A romance app that dims the lights and plays soft music.
- A school night app that turns on the parental controls.
- A weather app that alerts you if your windows are open when it is raining.
- Create a Samsung Account and register for an account on Developer Workspace.
- Determine the solution that you want to integrate with SmartThings Cloud:
- Automations can automatically control and get status notifications from IoT devices.
- Cloud-to-cloud Devices connect indirectly through a third-party cloud with SmartThings Connector.
- Directly connected Devices connect directly to SmartThings Cloud.
- Hub-connected Devices are Z-Wave or ZigBee devices and they connect through either a SmartThings hub or Samsung Connect Home hub.
- Build your solution.
- Test your solution with tools as below:
- Publish your solutions.
We want to hear from you. Share your ideas, questions, and suggestions.